James J. Black, III concentrates his practice in complex litigation matters involving insurance, reinsurance, finance, and corporate and regulatory relationships. His diverse trial experience includes the representation of corporations, insurance companies, state regulators, directors and officers, banks, pension funds and individuals. Jim is known in the litigation community for bringing exceptional strategic judgment and expertise to complex disputes to achieve superior client results while delivering exceptional value.
In the non-litigation area, Jim frequently represents clients, both nationally and internationally, in litigation-related negotiations and transactions. He also serves as an arbitrator of complex commercial and coverage disputes including on behalf of the International Chamber of Commerce. Jim has been called upon to be an expert witness in the fields of insurance regulation, insurance policy disputes and contract interpretation including in multinational disputes.
Jim regularly represents several state insurance departments in regulatory areas particularly solvency, captive, and alternative risk vehicles, holding company transactions, and other financial and regulatory relationships. His diverse litigation experience includes achieving successful verdicts or settlements in dozens of state and federal jurisdictions. Jim also has over thirty years of experience in personal services representation, including trial or other resolution of tragic losses. He also works with the team of firm specialists to participate in Personal Services representation for his clients in Estate Planning, Estate Administration, and family financial planning. He regularly serves, upon request, as a personal fiduciary, including as Executor, Administrator, Trustee, and Guardian.
Jim is frequently asked to lecture on his litigation activities and has made presentations to The National Association of Insurance Commissioners, The National Organization of Life & Health Guaranty Associations, The Society of Financial Examiners, The Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society, The Delaware Insurance Department, The Florida Bar Association and the International Association of Insurance Receivers. He has also served as a lecturer at the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education and as continuing education lecturer to state insurance examiners and analysts. Jim served as counsel to the Pennsylvania Insurance Department Transition Team in 2003-2004. He regularly serves as a Judge Pro Tempore for the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas. In 2009, the Pennsylvania Senate confirmed the Governor of Pennsylvania’s appointment of Jim as a member of the Board of the Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority where he has continued to serve at the behest of three successive governors.
Jim serves on the Board of Directors of several business entities including as a Managing Member of an administration and consulting firm, which provides services to longevity insurance providers.
Jim is an active participant in community affairs including as the coach of a high school mock trial team and as a regular presenter in the Free Library of Philadelphia Speaker Series for Senior Adults. He volunteers in several parish and charitable organizations and has coached youth sports for over twenty years.
- Holds an “AV” peer reviewed rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- A designated “SuperLawyer” peer rating from Thompson Reuters
- Recipient of multiple recognitions including Best Lawyers in Pennsylvania and Best Lawyers in New Jersey.
- Admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Supreme Court of New Jersey, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, United States District Court for the District of Colorado, and United States Court of Federal Claims.
- Admitted pro hac vice to the Delaware Supreme Court, the Delaware Chancery Court, the Delaware Superior Court, United States District Court for the District of Delaware, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, the State of New York Court of Appeals, the State of New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division Third Judicial Department, the State of New York Supreme Court, Ninth Judicial District Rockland County, the Ninth Judicial and the Circuit Court, Orange County, Florida.
- Villanova University, J.D., 1984
Moot Court Board
- St. Joseph’s University, B.S., 1981 cum laude